Everywhere you turn people are saying “go green”. More and more people are looking for alternatives to heat and power their homes. One alternative is solar energy. There are both benefits and pitfalls to solar energy.
•Solar power is predictable. It is easy to predict how much electricity your system will produce because the amount of sunlight that hits your roof doesn’t vary that much. This means it is also easy to predict how much you will save in electric bills.
•Solar power will lower your electric bill. Solar power will offset the usage of conventional electricity especially in places where the price for grid power is high — like California, Hawaii and much of the northeast.
•Solar power is safe and clean. Solar energy systems produce emissions-free electricity.
•Installing solar panels may also help you qualify for a tax credit. For more information on energy tax credits click here.
•Solar power can be predictable but it is also variable. In other words, it can be predicted on a long term basis but not on a daily or even weekly basis. For example, solar panels won’t produce electricity at night.
•Solar power can be a more expensive alternative in the short term. The price of solar panels continue to fall but there are many aggressive financing options. If your state has no tax incentives and electricity prices are relatively low solar would be an expensive option for you.
•Some homes just don’t work. The roof must be in good condition with an unobstructed southern exposure. If the house is surrounded by trees and tall buildings solar panels will probably not work. A ground-mounted system is an option only if you have sufficient space in your yard.
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $1,990,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:5/122 minutes agoPlymouth, MA - $650,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Contemporary - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/134 minutes agoPlymouth, MA - $459,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:31 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $285,000 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:11 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $1,800 - Commercial - Year Built:2002 - Acres:1.191 hour ago
Carver MA Listing AlertsCarver, MA - $299,500 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours agoCarver, MA - $250,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:25 hours agoCarver, MA - $329,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/116 hours agoCarver, MA - $472,500 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:3Carver, MA - $79,900 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $138,000 - Single-Family - Cottage - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:13 hours agoKingston, MA - $289,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:15 hours agoKingston, MA - $275,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:16 hours agoKingston, MA - $1,450 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1Kingston, MA - $364,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $230,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $339,000 - Single-Family - Cape, Antique - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:24 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $1,500,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:5 - Baths:3/15 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $499,000 - Single-Family - Multi-Level - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/15 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $459,000 - Single-Family - Bungalow - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:26 hours ago
- So long, summer September 2, 2014Jen Strano stood on the Chase Road overpass with friends, family and strangers, bidding farewell to tourists as they inched along Route 6 on their way off-Cape on Monday morning. […]
- 5-year-olds get special welcome to kindergarten in Wareham August 30, 2014At a big rally for little kids, the town's soon-to-be kindergartners got a special welcome to formal education. […]
- Cape Cod Five To Open New Loan Production Office In Plymouth August 29, 2014The loan production office, located at One Village Green North in The Pinehills, is scheduled to open later this fall. […]
- Market Basket back in business August 28, 2014"I have a store that's closer to home, but I'm just so impressed with these people," the Plymouth resident said. […]
- So long, summer September 2, 2014
- Local cultural councils receive more than $90,000 in grants August 28, 2014Nine area cultural organizations and councils have been approved state grants, according to a press release from Sen. Marc R. Pacheco . […]
- 4-H runs in the family 4-H Fair is dedicated to son of event's... August 28, 2014The 65th annual East Middleboro 4 - H Fair will be held this Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.at the East Middleboro 4 - H Clubhouse,183 Thompson St. . […]
- UPDATED: Former church counselor arrested for sexual assault August 8, 2014David Johansen, 26, of Carver, Mass., was arrested on Wednesday and charged with one count of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two counts of felonious sexual assault for an alleged incident that took place in August 2012 at a Nashua residence. […]
- Fugitive in assault probe arrested in Cotuit August 5, 2014A Carver man who worked in Cotuit and was the target of a multistate investigation into sexual conduct with minors has been arrested by Barnstable police. […]
- Local cultural councils receive more than $90,000 in grants August 28, 2014
- Police seek charges in Route 6 crash August 22, 2014Police plan to seek criminal charges against a Kingston man in connection with a three-car crash Saturday on Route 6 that injured a New York man and tied up traffic for hours, according to a statement from the Wellfleet Police Department. […]
- Police seek charges in Route 6 crash August 22, 2014
- Duxbury beach closed due to possible shark sighting August 28, 2014A 15-foot great white shark was spotted approximately 150 yards off Duxbury Beach Monday, prompting the beach to close for about two hours. […]
- Reported shark in Marshfield may have been sunfish August 27, 2014Beaches in Marshfield have reopened after a search prompted by reports of a shark off Sunrise Beach turned up no dangerous sea creatures, officials said. […]
- Beachgoers in Marshfield saw this fin on Aug. 27 and mistakenly took the ocean sunfish for a shark. August 27, 2014Beachgoers in Marshfield were in for a shark scare Wednesday, but just two days after a great white was spotted in Duxbury this one turned out to be an imposter. […]
- Heroin discovered during Tewksbury traffic stop August 27, 2014Police officers found 1,500 grams of heroin during a traffic stop in Tewksbury. Investigators saw three men acting suspiciously in the Home Depot parking lot. […]
- Duxbury beach closed due to possible shark sighting August 28, 2014