Everywhere you turn people are saying “go green”. More and more people are looking for alternatives to heat and power their homes. One alternative is solar energy. There are both benefits and pitfalls to solar energy.
•Solar power is predictable. It is easy to predict how much electricity your system will produce because the amount of sunlight that hits your roof doesn’t vary that much. This means it is also easy to predict how much you will save in electric bills.
•Solar power will lower your electric bill. Solar power will offset the usage of conventional electricity especially in places where the price for grid power is high — like California, Hawaii and much of the northeast.
•Solar power is safe and clean. Solar energy systems produce emissions-free electricity.
•Installing solar panels may also help you qualify for a tax credit. For more information on energy tax credits click here.
•Solar power can be predictable but it is also variable. In other words, it can be predicted on a long term basis but not on a daily or even weekly basis. For example, solar panels won’t produce electricity at night.
•Solar power can be a more expensive alternative in the short term. The price of solar panels continue to fall but there are many aggressive financing options. If your state has no tax incentives and electricity prices are relatively low solar would be an expensive option for you.
•Some homes just don’t work. The roof must be in good condition with an unobstructed southern exposure. If the house is surrounded by trees and tall buildings solar panels will probably not work. A ground-mounted system is an option only if you have sufficient space in your yard.
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $394,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:210 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $284,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:313 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $1,650 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/114 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $619,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:314 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $614,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/114 hours ago
Carver MA Listing AlertsCarver, MA - $57,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:29 hours agoCarver, MA - $57,900 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:29 hours agoCarver, MA - $289,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Carver, MA - $129,900 - Condo - Detached - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Carver, MA - $49,900 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $314,950 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:214 hours agoKingston, MA - $339,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:3Kingston, MA - $327,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Kingston, MA - $1,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1Kingston, MA - $464,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/1
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $569,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/17 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $389,000 - Single-Family - Cottage, Bungalow - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:114 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $329,900 - Single-Family - Cottage - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/115 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $645,999 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Marshfield, MA - $499,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:2
- Health Express Walk-In Urgent Medical Care Opens in Plymouth April 16, 2014Health Express Walk-in Urgent Medical Care held a ribbon-cutting event on Tuesday, April 15 for it's new location in Plymouth at 59 Long Pond Road. […]
- Plymouth Will Get Help Fixing Potholes April 14, 2014Plymouth is getting $227,000 from the state to help pay for repairing potholes. Winter is gone, but her fury is still evident on roads across Massachusetts. […]
- Let's learn from history and close Pilgrim plant now April 14, 2014I echo the sentiments of Sen. Daniel Wolf, whom you quoted April 10 saying, "I don't know what we have to do to have our government regulators be more responsive to concerns from our region" . […]
- Family-friendly historical trips April 14, 2014Looking to plan a family vacation that is both entertaining and educational? Go historical. […]
- Health Express Walk-In Urgent Medical Care Opens in Plymouth April 16, 2014
- Your Town, Your Life: Lakeville April 10, 2014In this weeks Your Town, Your Life we take you to a quaint community in Southeastern Massachusetts. […]
- Board of Selectmen candidate profiles March 28, 2014Currently chairman of the Board of Selectmen Scott Belliveau is seeking his second three-year term. […]
- Young mom dies during childbirth Community rallies to help her family March 20, 2014Paul Celia, 31, and his 32-year-old wife Colleen should have been celebrating the birth of their first child together, but now Paul is faced with heartbreak after losing his wife during childbirth. […]
- Your Town, Your Life: Lakeville April 10, 2014
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014It's second semester of junior year for Maribeth Mason of Kingston, and that means the college search is in full swing. […]
- Engagements: Barbara Wade & Katherine WAde March 2, 2014Katherine's father, Dr. Philip Wade, resides in Kingston, MA. Rob is the son of Nancy Smith Longsworth of Evergreen, Colorado, and Rob W. Longsworth of Aurora, Colorado. […]
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014
- School chief uncertain if record would have prevented hiring of teacher with felony conviction April 6, 2014"If we had seen the felony, we would have investigated it a bit. The felony was a 21-year-old man working through college. […]
- Party in the parking lot April 5, 2014Bob and Debbie Marini, center, vacationing in Naples from Marshfield, Mass., enjoy dancing and live music on Third Street South in Naples in January 2012. […]
- Indie Candidate Falchuk Picks Jennings as Running Mate April 2, 2014The former land use management director for the town of Westford and town planner in Marshfield will be joining the United Independent Party ticket to win the corner office in Massachusetts, according to State House News Service . […]
- Massachusetts Lawmakers Seek to Ease Federal Flood Insurance Rules March 25, 2014When Mitch Haddad and his brother began rebuilding their family's oceanside restaurant in Marshfield, Massachusetts, they decided to take no chances. […]
- School chief uncertain if record would have prevented hiring of teacher with felony conviction April 6, 2014