Everywhere you turn people are saying “go green”. More and more people are looking for alternatives to heat and power their homes. One alternative is solar energy. There are both benefits and pitfalls to solar energy.
•Solar power is predictable. It is easy to predict how much electricity your system will produce because the amount of sunlight that hits your roof doesn’t vary that much. This means it is also easy to predict how much you will save in electric bills.
•Solar power will lower your electric bill. Solar power will offset the usage of conventional electricity especially in places where the price for grid power is high — like California, Hawaii and much of the northeast.
•Solar power is safe and clean. Solar energy systems produce emissions-free electricity.
•Installing solar panels may also help you qualify for a tax credit. For more information on energy tax credits click here.
•Solar power can be predictable but it is also variable. In other words, it can be predicted on a long term basis but not on a daily or even weekly basis. For example, solar panels won’t produce electricity at night.
•Solar power can be a more expensive alternative in the short term. The price of solar panels continue to fall but there are many aggressive financing options. If your state has no tax incentives and electricity prices are relatively low solar would be an expensive option for you.
•Some homes just don’t work. The roof must be in good condition with an unobstructed southern exposure. If the house is surrounded by trees and tall buildings solar panels will probably not work. A ground-mounted system is an option only if you have sufficient space in your yard.
Featured Property Slideshow
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $499,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:29 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $235,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:213 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $329,500 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/114 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $219,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:217 hours ago
Carver MA Listing AlertsCarver, MA - $209,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1Carver, MA - $1,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:1Carver, MA - $189,900 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:3Carver, MA - $59,000 - Single-Family - Cottage - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $415,000 - Single-Family - Antique - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:210 hours agoKingston, MA - $1,500,000 - Land - Acres:8.2714 hours agoKingston, MA - $384,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Kingston, MA - $284,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $349,900 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:217 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $386,400 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1Marshfield, MA - $92,000 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Marshfield, MA - $899 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1
- Tracy Chevrolet Cadillac launches Toys for Tots Drive. December 5, 2013Tracy Chevrolet will be accepting donations up until December 14 for the drive on behalf of The Marines of United States Marine Corps League's Plymouth Chapter. […]
- Government to dismiss charges in NFL phone prank December 4, 2013Federal prosecutors have agreed to dismiss charges against two Massachusetts men who initiated and recorded a prank telephone call between two NFL general managers earlier this year. […]
- Charges Resolved for Men Who Invaded Bills' GM's Phone Call December 4, 2013Federal prosecutors say there's a resolution of charges against two Massachusetts men accused of invading a private telephone conversation between then-Bills general manager Buddy Nix and Tampa Bay Bucaneers GM Mark Dominik. […]
- Here's How to See International Space Station Flying Over Plymouth December 4, 2013Written by Todd Richissin Not all that long ago, anything like the International Space Station was reserved for science fiction and drug highs. […]
- Tracy Chevrolet Cadillac launches Toys for Tots Drive. December 5, 2013
- Man faces 6th drunken driving charge after arrest in Carver December 4, 2013A Plympton man is facing his sixth drunken driving charge - and possible loss of his license for life - after he allegedly drove his gray pickup truck erratically in Carver, police said. […]
- Board supports legislation to require NStar to work with towns, residents November 28, 2013NStar continued stripping trees from its 300-foot right of way in Middleboro this week as residents continued their quest to make the utility listen to their concerns and fears. […]
- Bits & Pieces November 27, 2013Streets and shops will be decorated and open for business. The Santa Sightings 5k fun run will be held that morning as well. […]
- Ma. Voters Should Stay Away From Ward 4 In Dover Next Time Around November 25, 2013One of the attendees, Dave Scott, at my voter fraud workshop in Rye last week has put pen to paper trail. […]
- Man faces 6th drunken driving charge after arrest in Carver December 4, 2013
- "Where Does This Road Go - A Boomer's Walkabout" November 20, 2013Corporate trainer and author shares insights in new book entitled " Where Does This Road Go - A Boomer's Walkabout". […]
- Male Streaker? No, Just a Halloween Costume November 4, 2013Police said the airbag deployed in one vehicle and one driver was taken to Lahey Medical Center, Peabody. […]
- The road to the Rolling Rally November 2, 2013I don't know about you, but I'm a happy woman whenever a duck boat parade is scheduled. […]
- Cape Commerce October 11, 2013Gatewood will work in the trust and asset management department in Orleans. The Chatham resident has 30 years of experience at the managing director level in institutional equity sales at national and global investment service firms. […]
- "Where Does This Road Go - A Boomer's Walkabout" November 20, 2013
- Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station siren test on Nov. 21 November 20, 2013On Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 3:45 p.m., state and local public safety agencies will conduct an audible sounding of the 112 Prompt Alert and Notification System sirens located within the 10-mile Emergency Planning Zone of Entergy's Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station. […]
- Appeals are likely on flood map changes November 16, 2013A caffeine-fueled intensity may pervade local town halls this week as officials prepare to defend their communities against skyrocketing flood insurance bills. […]
- Seaport Advisory Council Awards $18M To Fund Projects In Marshfield, Scituate, Other Towns November 8, 2013The Seaport Advisory Council grant program has awarded more than $18 million in funding to support infrastructure improvements and job creation along the Commonwealth's coast. […]
- Healthcare and Employee Benefits Will Be Topic on WATD, Nov. 2;... October 31, 2013The show also will be broadcast live on the Web at www.959watd.com . Whether you're a small-business owner or an employee, tune in to learn how you can maximize your employee benefits while controlling costs. […]
- Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station siren test on Nov. 21 November 20, 2013