Everywhere you turn people are saying “go green”. More and more people are looking for alternatives to heat and power their homes. One alternative is solar energy. There are both benefits and pitfalls to solar energy.
•Solar power is predictable. It is easy to predict how much electricity your system will produce because the amount of sunlight that hits your roof doesn’t vary that much. This means it is also easy to predict how much you will save in electric bills.
•Solar power will lower your electric bill. Solar power will offset the usage of conventional electricity especially in places where the price for grid power is high — like California, Hawaii and much of the northeast.
•Solar power is safe and clean. Solar energy systems produce emissions-free electricity.
•Installing solar panels may also help you qualify for a tax credit. For more information on energy tax credits click here.
•Solar power can be predictable but it is also variable. In other words, it can be predicted on a long term basis but not on a daily or even weekly basis. For example, solar panels won’t produce electricity at night.
•Solar power can be a more expensive alternative in the short term. The price of solar panels continue to fall but there are many aggressive financing options. If your state has no tax incentives and electricity prices are relatively low solar would be an expensive option for you.
•Some homes just don’t work. The roof must be in good condition with an unobstructed southern exposure. If the house is surrounded by trees and tall buildings solar panels will probably not work. A ground-mounted system is an option only if you have sufficient space in your yard.
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $474,900 - Single-Family - Multi-Level - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:336 minutes agoPlymouth, MA - $305,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $630 - Commercial - Year Built:1989 - Acres:1.753 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $549,800 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/15 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $199,999 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/111 hours ago
Carver MA Listing AlertsCarver, MA - $480,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Carver, MA - $160,000 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Carver, MA - $314,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Carver, MA - $263,900 - Single-Family - Antique - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Carver, MA - $349,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $189,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:12 hours agoKingston, MA - $799,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/117 hours agoKingston, MA - $159,900 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:2Kingston, MA - $314,900 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1Kingston, MA - $429,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:3
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $284,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:143 minutes agoMarshfield, MA - $664,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/157 minutes agoMarshfield, MA - $499,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/12 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $709,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:24 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $339,000 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch, Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/16 hours ago
- Conservation groups offer ocean 'safari' in search of... July 31, 2014Gray seals congregate on the shore in Chatham, earlier this month. Decades after gray seals were all but wiped out in New England waters, the population has rebounded so much that they are taking over large stretches of shore, attracting sharks which feed on them, and are interfering with fishing charters. […]
- Cape Muslims celebrate end of Ramadan July 29, 2014Every night for the past month, 18-year-old Samina Rafiq would slip off her flip-flops and place them next to several other pairs of shoes at the bottom of a staircase before joining a small group of women upstairs at a small mosque on Falmouth Road. […]
- Mr. and Mrs. Brigham July 28, 2014Joe and Cathy Brigham of Bow recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. […]
- Driver shortage leaves P&B riders stranded July 28, 2014A shortage of drivers has left some Plymouth & Brockton Street Railway Co. riders stranded in the last two months as the company has been forced to skip scheduled routes. […]
- Conservation groups offer ocean 'safari' in search of... July 31, 2014
- Wilho E. Harju July 26, 2014Wilho E. Harju, 95, a lifelong resident of Carver, passed away on July 25, 2014. […]
- NE-YO to Perform at Fenway Park Benefit 7/27 July 18, 2014GRAMMY Award winning, multi-platinum singer/songwriter NE-YO will bring the hits to Fenway Park on July 27 th for a benefit to kick-off a $1 million fundraising campaign launched by HealthBridge and CareOne Management to support employees and their families in fighting cancer. […]
- Classmates gather for annual chance to share memories July 6, 2014Henry Warren, left, and his wife, Janice, flip through a yearbook while their nephew, Lester, looks on during the Carver Alumni reunion in Mount Olive Saturday afternoon. […]
- Trik Casino On-line June 29, 2014Secondly, you can centralise on your biz wagerer because There aren't any distractions like /200 bonus = /400 come. […]
- Wilho E. Harju July 26, 2014
- Motorcyclist killed in Vermont accident June 30, 2014State police say a car driven by Frank Sargent of Woodbury crossed the center line of Route 14 around 9:15 a.m. Sunday and collided with the motorcyclists. […]
- Who Are Four of Massachusetts' 'Most Wanted' Criminals? June 28, 2014Every day, police solve crimes in all our communities. But when suspects get away, Massachusetts law enforcement officers turn to the public for help. […]
- Patrick signs legislation raising minimum wage June 27, 2014Surrounded by lawmakers, labor leaders and ballot activists who pushed for a higher minimum wage, Gov. Deval Patrick on Thursday signed into law a three-step increase in the wage floor to $11 per hour by 2017. […]
- More Viva Scope: Fewer biopsies June 9, 2014Nearly 400-thousand Americans are on dialysis for kidney failure. The treatment uses a special machine to filter toxins from the blood and often requires a graft to connect an artery to a vein to speed blood flow. […]
- Motorcyclist killed in Vermont accident June 30, 2014
- Contractor racks up failed projects but carries on July 27, 2014Duncan G. Leith, former chairman of both the Wachusett Regional School Committee and the Wachusett Regional School Building Committee, stands near one of the school's main entrances. […]
- Convertible badly damaged after crash in Sullivan Square July 19, 2014Main Street in Charlestown was shut down Friday night as emergency officials responded to a serious car crash just before 11 p.m. Several ambulances were seen leaving the scene in Sullivan Square where a convertible was seen badly damaged in front of the Charlestown Fire Station. […]
- Staff Sgt. Pitts says Medal of Honor is for fallen brothers July 19, 2014A New Hampshire native was seriously wounded in one of the bloodiest battles against the Taliban in Afghanistan and on Monday President Obama will present retired Army Staff Sergeant Ryan Pitts with the Medal of Honor for bravery. […]
- Marshfield man saves child from hot car July 18, 2014A toddler in Marshfield is safe thanks to some quick thinking teens who saw the child locked inside a hot car. […]
- Contractor racks up failed projects but carries on July 27, 2014