Everywhere you turn people are saying “go green”. More and more people are looking for alternatives to heat and power their homes. One alternative is solar energy. There are both benefits and pitfalls to solar energy.
•Solar power is predictable. It is easy to predict how much electricity your system will produce because the amount of sunlight that hits your roof doesn’t vary that much. This means it is also easy to predict how much you will save in electric bills.
•Solar power will lower your electric bill. Solar power will offset the usage of conventional electricity especially in places where the price for grid power is high — like California, Hawaii and much of the northeast.
•Solar power is safe and clean. Solar energy systems produce emissions-free electricity.
•Installing solar panels may also help you qualify for a tax credit. For more information on energy tax credits click here.
•Solar power can be predictable but it is also variable. In other words, it can be predicted on a long term basis but not on a daily or even weekly basis. For example, solar panels won’t produce electricity at night.
•Solar power can be a more expensive alternative in the short term. The price of solar panels continue to fall but there are many aggressive financing options. If your state has no tax incentives and electricity prices are relatively low solar would be an expensive option for you.
•Some homes just don’t work. The roof must be in good condition with an unobstructed southern exposure. If the house is surrounded by trees and tall buildings solar panels will probably not work. A ground-mounted system is an option only if you have sufficient space in your yard.
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $499,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/154 minutes agoPlymouth, MA - $289,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/12 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $569,000 - Single-Family - Gambrel - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/13 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $129,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:15 hours ago
Carver MA Listing Alerts
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $369,900 - Single-Family - Colonial, Victorian - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/12 hours agoKingston, MA - $525,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/113 hours agoKingston, MA - $289,000 - Single-Family - Gambrel - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/2Kingston, MA - $730,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:4 - Baths:3
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $355,000 - Single-Family - Antique, Cottage - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:13 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $179,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $729,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/18 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $529,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/19 hours ago
- O'Keefe runs again for district attorney March 7, 2014Standing on the steps of the Barnstable Superior Courthouse, Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe told a crowd of prosecutors and Republican officeholders Thursday that he would seek re-election to a fourth term this year. […]
- Pilgrim Trail: a scenic walk along Swan River for you and your furry friend March 7, 2014Pilgrim Trail is one of the best places to take a long stroll with your dog in Plymouth, MA. […]
- Murray picks Sagamore woman for Statehouse art panel March 6, 2014Senate President Therese Murray announced yesterday that she has appointed Jacqueline Lane, the Sagamore resident responsible for her Beacon Hill office's holiday decorations, to the State House Art Commission. […]
- Bus routes to extend to and from Boston March 6, 2014The Massachusetts Department of Transportation announced the BusPlus program Tuesday as a partnership between the state department and the private sector. […]
- O'Keefe runs again for district attorney March 7, 2014
- Carver man charged with stabbing father multiple times February 26, 2014George Cowen, 23, is being charged with assault with intent to murder, according Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz's office. […]
- Things to do this week on Cape Cod February 13, 2014Sometimes a charity event will pay somber tribute to the cause that moves its heart. […]
- Carver man charged with stabbing father multiple times February 26, 2014
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014It's second semester of junior year for Maribeth Mason of Kingston, and that means the college search is in full swing. […]
- Engagements: Barbara Wade & Katherine WAde March 2, 2014Katherine's father, Dr. Philip Wade, resides in Kingston, MA. Rob is the son of Nancy Smith Longsworth of Evergreen, Colorado, and Rob W. Longsworth of Aurora, Colorado. […]
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014
- Mass. man, stepson sentenced in arson fires March 1, 2014Two Massachusetts men have been sentenced in some of a string of fires set south of Boston in 2012 and 2013. […]
- Middleborough man and stepson may plead guilty to arsons that terrorized Southeastern Mass. February 25, 2014A Middleborough man who was the alleged mastermind behind a wave of arson fires that terrorized Southeastern Massachusetts was told today that he would serve up to three years in state prison if he pleads guilty to arson charges. […]
- Insurer switches choice of school builder for Sutton February 14, 2014A special Board of Selectmen's meeting was canceled Wednesday after Western Surety Co., which holds the bond for the stalled middle/high school construction project, changed its selection of a building contractor to replace TLT Construction Corp. of Wakefield, whose contract was terminated by selectmen in October. […]
- Wheatstone Lists Recent U.S., Canadian Sales February 12, 2014Wheatstone says WMAL in Washington, has added the Glass-E virtual mixer to an existing WheatNet-IP system. […]
- Mass. man, stepson sentenced in arson fires March 1, 2014