House plants can significantly improve the dynamic of a room. While some are purely decorative, there are others that can have a dramatic effect on air and indoor pollution levels. If you are planning on making a few botanical additions to your home, then why not get the added benefit of choosing plants that will work for you, as well as providing an aesthetic benefit? Here are a few to get you started.
Golden Pothos – This vine-like plant is very easy to grow, requiring very little light, and can survive quite comfortably if you happen to forget to water it on a regular basis. With regular fertilizing, this plant becomes a fast-growing vine that looks fantastic in any room. Clippings can be taken, put in water, and will develop root structures in as little as a few days. Because this is a submersible plant, it is also popular with aquarium enthusiasts. In addition, this plant is a heavy oxygen producer, and can also remove benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene from your air.
Peace Lilies – Interestingly enough, these houseplants are not true lilies. These attractive members of the Araceae family need only a little light and water in order to survive, and produce brilliant flowers.
Rubber Tree – While used as houseplants in North America, these plants have an interesting use in India; the roots are guided over chasms in order to create what is commonly referred to as living bridges. These plants prefer bright sunlight, and while they can withstand infrequent watering quite well, they will thrive if given enough moisture.
Weeping Fig – This is the official tree of Bangkok, Thailand. In a study by NASA, this plant was shown to effectively remove airborne toxins from its environment. This plant thrives in warm, sunny conditions, but can also tolerate low-light conditions fairly well. If it is moved to a new room, it will shed a large number of its leaves, and replace them with new leaves in response to the change in light conditions. While it is adaptive to changes in light, care should be taken not to place it in an area where it will be subjected to strong, cold drafts. This plant is also popular among bonsai enthusiasts for its aesthetic properties.
Snake Plant – Also known as “mother-in-law’s tongue”, this plant has been recognized in the same NASA study as one of the best plants to remove indoor air pollution. Like other pollution-reducing plants, this one can survive quite well with low light levels and irregular watering. Care should be taken not to over water this species, as the root structure is fairly sensitive.
For further reading, you can pick up the book How To Grow Fresh Air, by B.C. Wolverton.
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $274,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/11 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $229,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $879,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/21 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $89,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours ago
Carver MA Listing AlertsCarver, MA - $474,900 - Single-Family - Colonial, Garrison - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:22 hours agoCarver, MA - $229,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:15 hours agoCarver, MA - $314,900 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:216 hours agoCarver, MA - $269,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $579,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:344 minutes agoKingston, MA - $129,000 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:21 hour agoKingston, MA - $344,900 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch, Split Entry - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoKingston, MA - $389,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Antique - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $359,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/13 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $418,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:38 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $569,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Marshfield, MA - $449,900 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
- Phantom Gourmet: New World Tavern In Plymouth March 10, 2014From the outside, the New World Tavern in historic Plymouth, Massachusetts, may look like a typical local watering hole, but when you step inside and see the three dozen beers on draft and 120 bottles from around the world, you'll start to get the impression that this place might be something special. […]
- Family-friendly historical trips March 10, 2014Looking to plan a family vacation that is both entertaining and educational? Go historical. […]
- Monday protest set to pressure Patrick to push for closing Pilgrim nuclear plant March 9, 2014Residents from every town on Cape Cod are set to rally at the State House Monday in a protest aimed at pressing Governor Deval Patrick to work on getting federal authorities to close the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth. […]
- Delahunt on pot shops: 'We'll do it right' March 9, 2014Lianne Ankner, Jonathan Herlihy and William Delahunt are applicants to open three medical marijuana dispensaries including one in Mashpee. […]
- Phantom Gourmet: New World Tavern In Plymouth March 10, 2014
- Carver man charged with stabbing father multiple times February 26, 2014George Cowen, 23, is being charged with assault with intent to murder, according Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz's office. […]
- Things to do this week on Cape Cod February 13, 2014Sometimes a charity event will pay somber tribute to the cause that moves its heart. […]
- Carver man charged with stabbing father multiple times February 26, 2014
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014It's second semester of junior year for Maribeth Mason of Kingston, and that means the college search is in full swing. […]
- Engagements: Barbara Wade & Katherine WAde March 2, 2014Katherine's father, Dr. Philip Wade, resides in Kingston, MA. Rob is the son of Nancy Smith Longsworth of Evergreen, Colorado, and Rob W. Longsworth of Aurora, Colorado. […]
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014
- Mass. man, stepson sentenced in arson fires March 1, 2014Two Massachusetts men have been sentenced in some of a string of fires set south of Boston in 2012 and 2013. […]
- Middleborough man and stepson may plead guilty to arsons that terrorized Southeastern Mass. February 25, 2014A Middleborough man who was the alleged mastermind behind a wave of arson fires that terrorized Southeastern Massachusetts was told today that he would serve up to three years in state prison if he pleads guilty to arson charges. […]
- Insurer switches choice of school builder for Sutton February 14, 2014A special Board of Selectmen's meeting was canceled Wednesday after Western Surety Co., which holds the bond for the stalled middle/high school construction project, changed its selection of a building contractor to replace TLT Construction Corp. of Wakefield, whose contract was terminated by selectmen in October. […]
- Wheatstone Lists Recent U.S., Canadian Sales February 12, 2014Wheatstone says WMAL in Washington, has added the Glass-E virtual mixer to an existing WheatNet-IP system. […]
- Mass. man, stepson sentenced in arson fires March 1, 2014