House plants can significantly improve the dynamic of a room. While some are purely decorative, there are others that can have a dramatic effect on air and indoor pollution levels. If you are planning on making a few botanical additions to your home, then why not get the added benefit of choosing plants that will work for you, as well as providing an aesthetic benefit? Here are a few to get you started.
Golden Pothos – This vine-like plant is very easy to grow, requiring very little light, and can survive quite comfortably if you happen to forget to water it on a regular basis. With regular fertilizing, this plant becomes a fast-growing vine that looks fantastic in any room. Clippings can be taken, put in water, and will develop root structures in as little as a few days. Because this is a submersible plant, it is also popular with aquarium enthusiasts. In addition, this plant is a heavy oxygen producer, and can also remove benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene from your air.
Peace Lilies – Interestingly enough, these houseplants are not true lilies. These attractive members of the Araceae family need only a little light and water in order to survive, and produce brilliant flowers.
Rubber Tree – While used as houseplants in North America, these plants have an interesting use in India; the roots are guided over chasms in order to create what is commonly referred to as living bridges. These plants prefer bright sunlight, and while they can withstand infrequent watering quite well, they will thrive if given enough moisture.
Weeping Fig – This is the official tree of Bangkok, Thailand. In a study by NASA, this plant was shown to effectively remove airborne toxins from its environment. This plant thrives in warm, sunny conditions, but can also tolerate low-light conditions fairly well. If it is moved to a new room, it will shed a large number of its leaves, and replace them with new leaves in response to the change in light conditions. While it is adaptive to changes in light, care should be taken not to place it in an area where it will be subjected to strong, cold drafts. This plant is also popular among bonsai enthusiasts for its aesthetic properties.
Snake Plant – Also known as “mother-in-law’s tongue”, this plant has been recognized in the same NASA study as one of the best plants to remove indoor air pollution. Like other pollution-reducing plants, this one can survive quite well with low light levels and irregular watering. Care should be taken not to over water this species, as the root structure is fairly sensitive.
For further reading, you can pick up the book How To Grow Fresh Air, by B.C. Wolverton.
Plymouth MA Listing AlertsPlymouth, MA - $59,500 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoPlymouth, MA - $339,900 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:23 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $35,000 - Single-Family - Cottage - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:14 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $899,900 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/15 hours agoPlymouth, MA - $249,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/16 hours ago
Carver MA Listing AlertsCarver, MA - $275,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:23 hours agoCarver, MA - $263,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:15 hours agoCarver, MA - $349,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Carver, MA - $15,000 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Carver, MA - $169,900 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:8 - Beds:2 - Baths:2
Kingston MA Listing AlertsKingston, MA - $389,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Antique - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:242 minutes agoKingston, MA - $269,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:11 hour agoKingston, MA - $1,150 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:110 hours agoKingston, MA - $329,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Kingston, MA - $388,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
Marshfield MA Listing AlertsMarshfield, MA - $355,000 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:9 - Beds:5 - Baths:220 minutes agoMarshfield, MA - $329,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $255,000 - Single-Family - Ranch, Cottage - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $469,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:10 - Beds:5 - Baths:35 hours agoMarshfield, MA - $459,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:37 hours ago
- Not a pipe dream for Buzzards Bay shop owner April 17, 2014Pursuing a licensed dispensary was out of the question for the 28-year-old Plymouth native because "it was a lot of money and a lot of politics." […]
- Family-friendly historical trips April 17, 2014Looking to plan a family vacation that is both entertaining and educational? Go historical. […]
- Health Express Walk-In Urgent Medical Care Opens in Plymouth April 16, 2014Health Express Walk-in Urgent Medical Care held a ribbon-cutting event on Tuesday, April 15 for it's new location in Plymouth at 59 Long Pond Road. […]
- Plymouth Will Get Help Fixing Potholes April 14, 2014Plymouth is getting $227,000 from the state to help pay for repairing potholes. Winter is gone, but her fury is still evident on roads across Massachusetts. […]
- Not a pipe dream for Buzzards Bay shop owner April 17, 2014
- Your Town, Your Life: Lakeville April 10, 2014In this weeks Your Town, Your Life we take you to a quaint community in Southeastern Massachusetts. […]
- Board of Selectmen candidate profiles March 28, 2014Currently chairman of the Board of Selectmen Scott Belliveau is seeking his second three-year term. […]
- Young mom dies during childbirth Community rallies to help her family March 20, 2014Paul Celia, 31, and his 32-year-old wife Colleen should have been celebrating the birth of their first child together, but now Paul is faced with heartbreak after losing his wife during childbirth. […]
- Your Town, Your Life: Lakeville April 10, 2014
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014It's second semester of junior year for Maribeth Mason of Kingston, and that means the college search is in full swing. […]
- Engagements: Barbara Wade & Katherine WAde March 2, 2014Katherine's father, Dr. Philip Wade, resides in Kingston, MA. Rob is the son of Nancy Smith Longsworth of Evergreen, Colorado, and Rob W. Longsworth of Aurora, Colorado. […]
- College Bound Juniors get a jump on college search March 6, 2014
- School chief uncertain if record would have prevented hiring of teacher with felony conviction April 6, 2014"If we had seen the felony, we would have investigated it a bit. The felony was a 21-year-old man working through college. […]
- Party in the parking lot April 5, 2014Bob and Debbie Marini, center, vacationing in Naples from Marshfield, Mass., enjoy dancing and live music on Third Street South in Naples in January 2012. […]
- Indie Candidate Falchuk Picks Jennings as Running Mate April 2, 2014The former land use management director for the town of Westford and town planner in Marshfield will be joining the United Independent Party ticket to win the corner office in Massachusetts, according to State House News Service . […]
- Massachusetts Lawmakers Seek to Ease Federal Flood Insurance Rules March 25, 2014When Mitch Haddad and his brother began rebuilding their family's oceanside restaurant in Marshfield, Massachusetts, they decided to take no chances. […]
- School chief uncertain if record would have prevented hiring of teacher with felony conviction April 6, 2014